Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0179

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

On this edition - the latest on the Wests Tigers coaching saga, and our own mid-season review... https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0179/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

MickeyB reacted
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I really enjoyed the podcast guys. It's a really interesting topic the will - he/won't he with Madge.

Pretty clear there is a push at board level to move him on as you all stated. I voted on the poll to move him but I wish I had listened to the podcast before I voted.

Garry - the point about the clubs attack being sharp in the first half vs Souths was spot on. I was watching and thinking 'this a considerable improvement on some of the crap dished up last year."

There was a point about line speed vs Souths that someone made which I also agree with. We were poor last wkend which is sad to say. On the whole though, our defence has been great in terms of being able to discern a defensive structure (which might only be a small thing but you can see it). 

Eddie at the 20 min mark you made some very powerful points about injuries (WT having the most) and the playing style having improved from 2021. Having heard this and being in agreement with you I think I have changed my mind on voting for Madge to get sacked now.

My current view is this

- the next 3 games after the bye are Manly Dogs NZ which are all very winnable

- we then play Parramatta without 3 starting forwards who will be in Origin camp

It's a decent chance we win 3 of the next 4 games at which point we are 6 wins and 10 losses with 8 games remaining. We do have players coming back from injury which is a big plus.

If we keep Madge for the next month and tell him 'win 3 out of 4 or you're done' we'll have given him a final period to prove his long term worth. If we sack him now or a month from now it won't make that much difference for 2023. 

I also strongly believe that Sheens will tell the board 'If you sack the coach you will have to wait another 3 years to come good."

There is a Sheens quote in this article in which he says as much https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/at-71-i-m-not-afraid-to-upset-people-why-sheens-is-the-man-to-rebuild-tigers-20211126-p59cgn.html

(You can argue Madge has had 3 years to come good I do accept and he has failed)

Very interesting few days ahead!

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @mickb

I really enjoyed the podcast guys. It's a really interesting topic the will - he/won't he with Madge.

Pretty clear there is a push at board level to move him on as you all stated. I voted on the poll to move him but I wish I had listened to the podcast before I voted.

Garry - the point about the clubs attack being sharp in the first half vs Souths was spot on. I was watching and thinking 'this a considerable improvement on some of the crap dished up last year."

There was a point about line speed vs Souths that someone made which I also agree with. We were poor last wkend which is sad to say. On the whole though, our defence has been great in terms of being able to discern a defensive structure (which might only be a small thing but you can see it). 

Eddie at the 20 min mark you made some very powerful points about injuries (WT having the most) and the playing style having improved from 2021. Having heard this and being in agreement with you I think I have changed my mind on voting for Madge to get sacked now.

My current view is this

- we then play Parramatta without 3 starting forwards who will be in Origin camp

It's a decent chance we win 3 of the next 4 games at which point we are 6 wins and 10 losses with 8 games remaining. We do have players coming back from injury which is a big plus.

If we keep Madge for the next month and tell him 'win 3 out of 4 or you're done' we'll have given him a final period to prove his long term worth. If we sack him now or a month from now it won't make that much difference for 2023. 

I also strongly believe that Sheens will tell the board 'If you sack the coach you will have to wait another 3 years to come good."

There is a Sheens quote in this article in which he says as much https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/at-71-i-m-not-afraid-to-upset-people-why-sheens-is-the-man-to-rebuild-tigers-20211126-p59cgn.html

(You can argue Madge has had 3 years to come good I do accept and he has failed)

Very good summary mate and I agree with your points. The linespeed from the last 2 weeks worries me a little as linespeed is an effort area and I worry about our effort dropping off.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

My current view is this

And they will too. Sheens is correct. Time to break the cycle and re-sign Madge for another 2 years. 

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Re-signing Madge might be premature. Today i had a thought that it might be worth keeping madge until we work out what to do with all our halves. We shouldnt make that the new coaches first order of business. It’s a complete mess.

I was watching reggies today and resolved that we cant let Madden leave. He’s going to play Nrl somewhere. He scored a classy try and his kicking game was solid. It would be so WT to se Madden walk out this summer and go on to play 200 games somewhere else. 

Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Re-signing Madge might be premature. Today i had a thought that it might be worth keeping madge until we work out what to do with all our halves. We shouldnt make that the new coaches first order of business. It’s a complete mess.

I was watching reggies today and resolved that we cant let Madden leave. He’s going to play Nrl somewhere. He scored a classy try and his kicking game was solid. It would be so WT to se Madden walk out this summer and go on to play 200 games somewhere else. 

A new coach might be the only one who can sort it out (no baggage).

ReplyQuote
Share: