(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @mike

Posted by: @tiger5150

Nick, Nick, Nick 

A ball that floats forward is not a forward pass. It needs to be propelled forward. If it’s passed backwards out of the hands but floats forward, the pass is not forward. 

I hear this "floated forward" argument all the time and as a physics graduate and as a pedant it drives me crazy. That first pass did not "float" forward. For a pass to be passed out of the hands backwards but "float forward" it has to have an upfield (forward velocity) greater than the velocity that the pass went backwards. in reality this is only possible if the passer of the ball is really motoring upfield. That second pass the passer was running across field and its impossible to have enough forward velocity for the ball to "float forward".

A steeden is not a balloon in the breeze.

<steps down from soapbox>

And you’ll keep hearing it. Even though not technically correct to the eye of the average masses the ball can sometimes appear to float forward. Yes I know it’s not a ballon and float is the wrong term but as I am often told perception is sometimes reality. 

Only from a player sprinting full speed up field. Physics doesnt care about the "eye of the average masses" or otherwise.

And the masses generally don’t care about physics. 

Tell me about that next international flight you take.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Nick, Nick, Nick 

A ball that floats forward is not a forward pass. It needs to be propelled forward. If it’s passed backwards out of the hands but floats forward, the pass is not forward. 

I hear this "floated forward" argument all the time and as a physics graduate and as a pedant it drives me crazy. That first pass did not "float" forward. For a pass to be passed out of the hands backwards but "float forward" it has to have an upfield (forward velocity) greater than the velocity that the pass went backwards. in reality this is only possible if the passer of the ball is really motoring upfield. That second pass the passer was running across field and its impossible to have enough forward velocity for the ball to "float forward".

A steeden is not a balloon in the breeze.

<steps down from soapbox>

And you’ll keep hearing it. Even though not technically correct to the eye of the average masses the ball can sometimes appear to float forward. Yes I know it’s not a ballon and float is the wrong term but as I am often told perception is sometimes reality. 

Only from a player sprinting full speed up field. Physics doesnt care about the "eye of the average masses" or otherwise.

And the masses generally don’t care about physics. 

Tell me about that next international flight you take.

Most would be oblivious to the physics behind that trip and would think of it as just a big bus trip in the sky. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: