Wests Tigers 2025 t...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers 2025 team discussion

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

The dreaded (but often merciful) off-season is pretty much upon us and this is where we can start to discuss what looks like a pretty exciting 2025 Wests Tigers team.

I thought we might kick things off with a look at who you guys think are certainties for round one (injury permitting).

I think at this stage we only have about half a side locked in:

Turuva

Luai

Galvin

Korisau

Samuela Fainu

Hunt

Pole

Close to certainties:

Bula (if recovered)

Staines

Klemmer

Olam (injury permitting)

Skelton

Seyfarth

Guys that look like they have to earn a spot:

Latu Fainu

Sione Fainu

TDS

Twal

Luke Laullili

What do you guys think?

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by Joel Helmes

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @helmesy

The dreaded (but often merciful) off-season is pretty much upon us and this is where we can start to discuss what looks like a pretty exciting 2025 Wests Tigers team.

I thought we might kick things off with a look at who you guys think are certainties for round one (injury permitting).

Turuva

Luai

Galvin

Korisau

Samuela Fainu

Hunt

Pole

Close to certainties:

Bula (if recovered)

Staines

Klemmer

Olam (injury permitting)

Skelton

Seyfarth

Latu Fainu

Sione Fainu

TDS

Twal

Luke Laullili

What do you guys think?

I think Tim Johannssen will be close to a bench spot, a real smokey imo so I'd add him to that last category. They'll be a couple of other young blokes who could come into the picture as well. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Skippa13
(@skippa13)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Twal has earned his right to be a “close to certainty”. He is not going to break a game open but he is a strong defender and has done a good job off the bench bringing energy and impact.

ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Looks pretty close from what we know now Joel. I reckon you could add Sione to the start list though. He’s been solid in the last few weeks.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @skippa13

Twal has earned his right to be a “close to certainty”. He is not going to break a game open but he is a strong defender and has done a good job off the bench bringing energy and impact.

He works hard but I don't think energy and impact are two words i'd use to describe him. If we sign Hunt, retain Pole and pick up another front rower I don't have Twal in my 17.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Skippa13
(@skippa13)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @skippa13

He works hard but I don't think energy and impact are two words i'd use to describe him. If we sign Hunt, retain Pole and pick up another front rower I don't have Twal in my 17.

yeah impact probably isn’t the right word. I just think there have been a few games recently where he has come in off the bench with pole and changed the momentum of the game. He has also built his game beyond the one dimension it was a few years ago, where he now runs good lines in behind the ruck and also has a basic passing game. Again, not a world beater, but a good club man that easily fills a role on the bench in my team. I was once in the camp where I didn’t think there was room for both seyfarth and Twal, but I’ve changed tune as I think they have both progressed. If we go out and buy another decent middle, then I may reconsider, but at this stage he is in.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Some fans have short memories re Seyfarth. He’s had 3 years to help us off the bottom. Just gives away dumb penalties and gets dominated every hit up. 

Id consider keeping him as third or fourth choice edge forward but not up to NRL week in week out. 

Luke Lailiili needs 1-2 years in NSW Cup. He’s been ordinary at Nrl level missing tackles and dropping bombs.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgrzmn)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

• Tend to agree with the suggested possibles and probables but don't forget Benji's policy of earning your spot in the preseason. Someone may come out of the blue like Galvin did this year. Hopefully not Sullivan, Naden or Bateman. 🤣 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@skippa13 I've never rated Seyfarth at all but he's improved out of sight this year. Probably the most improved player in the team.

Mike and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@skippa13 I've never rated Seyfarth at all but he's improved out of sight this year. Probably the most improved player in the team.

Agree with this.  Even his discipline and penalties are improved. He is all effort and he has been able to make changes and adapt his game to be more effective. He runs at speed at holes and has developed some footwork that helps him make metres. He used to "chase the collision" but as others here have rightly said he gets dominated and stops dead. Noted this year he is running at holes and using footwork. For this reason IMO much better suited to second row than middle.

Good benchie.

Joel Helmes and Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I'm not convinced on Bird or Horborough. I would rather hold off and see who comes on the market over the off season 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @canberratiger

I'm not convinced on Bird or Horborough. I would rather hold off and see who comes on the market over the off season 

Bird was one of my favourite non tigers players a few years back. Really skillful and hard worker. I'm worried about his injuries though. It's been reported he has arthritis, and as someone who suffers arthritis in my lower spine, I have no idea how he can play football. It's degenerative and will only get worse as the years go on.

I'm torn on Horsborough. He definitely makes out 17 and we need to improve our forwards.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @helmesy

Turuva

Luai

Galvin

Korisau

Samuela Fainu

Hunt

Pole

Close to certainties:

Bula (if recovered)

Staines

Klemmer

Olam (injury permitting)

Skelton

Seyfarth

Latu Fainu

Sione Fainu

TDS

Twal

Luke Laullili

What do you guys think?

A lot of people like him but I don't think Staines is the sort of player we need. He tries hard, but I think we need someone bigger that can help get us out of our own end. He tries to do it, but he lacks the size.

My team for next year.

1. Bula

2. Skelton

3. Olam

4. Turuva

5. New signing

6. Galvin

7. Luai

8. Pole

9. Api

10. New signing

11. Sam Fainu

12. New signing

13. Latu Fainu

14. TDS

15. Hunt

16. Seyfarth/New signing

17. Sione F

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150

Agree with this.  Even his discipline and penalties are improved. He is all effort and he has been able to make changes and adapt his game to be more effective. He runs at speed at holes and has developed some footwork that helps him make metres. He used to "chase the collision" but as others here have rightly said he gets dominated and stops dead. Noted this year he is running at holes and using footwork. For this reason IMO much better suited to second row than middle.

Good benchie.

He will definitely be in the 17. Coaches love this type of player because he really puts in and has made real efforts to improve his game.

When you respond to what the coach asks you to do, you more often than not will get picked.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @barra

Posted by: @tiger5150

Good benchie.

He will definitely be in the 17. Coaches love this type of player because he really puts in and has made real efforts to improve his game.

When you respond to what the coach asks you to do, you more often than not will get picked.

To be fair, I have noticed the same changes in Twals game as well but for some reason it hasnt resulted in increased effectiveness. His stats (not everything I know) are declining.

Barra and Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: