[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @garry

Posted by: @russtutty63

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@russtutty63 We can't keep them all, but I don't understand letting our best prospects go when he had years remaining on his contract. It benefits Manly, and it benefits Large, but it has zero benefit to us. We didn't need to move him on at all. Now when Galvin inevitably leaves we'll be left with our you know what in our hands, and we'll be back in purgatory.

None of us know exactly why we let him go, we guess or read reports which may or may not be true. All I can tell you is I saw him play 2 or 3 of the first games of the Matts season this year and he was solid, no better, no worse. I then watched the Matts team play about 6 or 7 games after he was injured and replaced by Jhevon Lele. My impression was that Lele was just as good as Onitoni. Lele is a year younger and in the Cubs program. I would've liked Onitoni to stay at the club but it wasn't to be. And I've no idea if Lele will be better than Onitoni but I'd think he has the potential to be. The club has plenty of great young prospects coming through the pathways system yet we tend to overreact, in my opinion, when we lose one because he's had media attention and trained with the NRL squad. Many others will train with the NRL squad and have raps put on them and most will stay. 

The issue I have is we didn't lose him, we released him and the only reason I would be doing that is if we had Galvin re-signing completed.

My confidence is growing regarding Galvin staying.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Lauchie wins RLPA rookie of the year. Previous winners below, amazing that we have 2 consecutive years rookie of the year and all these players listed had top tier careers.

Previous Winners of the Players’ Rookie of the Year:

● 2023 Annessa Biddle & Jahream Bula

● 2022 Gayle Broughton & Jeremiah Nanai

● 2021 Destiny Brill & Reece Walsh

● 2020 Harry Grant

● 2019 Payne Haas

● 2018 Victor Radley

● 2017 Nick Cotric

● 2016 Cody Walker

● 2015 Cameron Munster

● 2014 Luke Brooks

● 2013 George Burgess

● 2012 Josh Mansour & Adam Reynolds

● 2011 Daly Cherry-Evans

● 2010 Trent Hodkinson

● 2009 Josh Dugan

● 2008 David Williams

● 2007 Michael Jennings

● 2006 Darius Boyd

● 2005 Ben Smith

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

I’m not being facetious or sarcastic but I don’t know if anyone here has tried contacting the club regarding issues they might have with the development and retention of juniors etc but why not try? I’ve had a short chat with Shannon Gallant at junior games & he was fine. I imagine that if you could call or email him he’d be happy to answer any questions especially as things mightn’t be so busy after the cubs game this Monday. If anyone’s going the Awards night you could have a chat there. No harm done to at least give it a go. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

I’m not being facetious or sarcastic but I don’t know if anyone here has tried contacting the club regarding issues they might have with the development and retention of juniors etc but why not try? I’ve had a short chat with Shannon Gallant at junior games & he was fine. I imagine that if you could call or email him he’d be happy to answer any questions especially as things mightn’t be so busy after the cubs game this Monday. If anyone’s going the Awards night you could have a chat there. No harm done to at least give it a go. 

What is the benefit to the club to release Large?

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @dirty-reds

The club has plenty of great young prospects coming through the pathways system yet we tend to overreact, in my opinion, when we lose one because he's had media attention and trained with the NRL squad.

We "overreact" because this club has had a long history of losing very good juniors and other young players, only for them to go on and succeed at other clubs. 

One perfect example of this exact situation will be playing in a GF next weekend, hoping to win his second Clive Churchill medal. 

The explanation in Weidler's article makes sense, but only if we manage to lock up Galvin long term. As we stand today, how confident is anyone of us doing that? I'd probably put myself at 40% at best. 

The explanation in Weidlers article would make sense if Large was off Contract, but he is not, therefore, like all of Weidlers articles, it doesnt make sense and seems made up.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

The club has plenty of great young prospects coming through the pathways system yet we tend to overreact, in my opinion, when we lose one because he's had media attention and trained with the NRL squad.

We "overreact" because this club has had a long history of losing very good juniors and other young players, only for them to go on and succeed at other clubs. 

One perfect example of this exact situation will be playing in a GF next weekend, hoping to win his second Clive Churchill medal. 

For every Papenhuyzen there is a Kit Kautoga and Zac Cini

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @tiger5150

The explanation in Weidler's article makes sense, but only if we manage to lock up Galvin long term. As we stand today, how confident is anyone of us doing that? I'd probably put myself at 40% at best. 

The explanation in Weidlers article would make sense if Large was off Contract, but he is not, therefore, like all of Weidlers articles, it doesnt make sense and seems made up.

maybe lauchie has extended and therefore Large was gone when off contract therefore club releases him to focus development on the next next #6 coming through

ReplyQuote
(@teddy_s)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@mike let that moustache loose on the coast… I give it 14.5 weeks.

ReplyQuote
Page 1067 / 1067
Share: