Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @russtutty63

I know most of us are thinking Sione as the best option for the 13 moving ahead but it’s interesting that the best 13s in the NRL are generally workhorses, they’ll be great defenders, tightening up the middle, provide some link play & take quite a few carries. Obviously not a great deal on the market in that regard but Williams has been doing a good job at the Sharks at times, playing 45-50 mins. In my opinion Sione & Williams sharing the role would improve the Tigers middle next year. And both do defend well. 

I may have missed it but I can't recall anyone saying Sione is our 13 moving forward.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

I know most of us are thinking Sione as the best option for the 13 moving ahead but it’s interesting that the best 13s in the NRL are generally workhorses, they’ll be great defenders, tightening up the middle, provide some link play & take quite a few carries. Obviously not a great deal on the market in that regard but Williams has been doing a good job at the Sharks at times, playing 45-50 mins. In my opinion Sione & Williams sharing the role would improve the Tigers middle next year. And both do defend well. 

Personally I am still hoping for a ball playing lock and I dont see that in Sione. I do think Sione will be a valuable part of our squad and see him as part of the middle rotation. In the absence of any outside signings, actually really want to see Latu get period of injury free time and spend some time in the 13.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tiger5150

Personally I am still hoping for a ball playing lock and I dont see that in Sione. I do think Sione will be a valuable part of our squad and see him as part of the middle rotation. In the absence of any outside signings, actually really want to see Latu get period of injury free time and spend some time in the 13.

I actually think we need to give Latu a shot at 13, he needs to be included in the squad somewhere and I have TDS in the 14 jumper. It is extremely important that Latu has a place in the 17.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry

I actually think we need to give Latu a shot at 13, he needs to be included in the squad somewhere and I have TDS in the 14 jumper. It is extremely important that Latu has a place in the 17.

He could work there but it’s a really tough job & couldn’t see him playing 80.  I can understand the need to include him, it’s a tough one. I really hope we get Williams because I’d give him more responsibility here than he’s had elsewhere & I think he’d like it. Was thinking today he’d start at lock & I’d ask him to really put in a big 20 minutes or so before bringing Sione on. Also start with Klem & Twal, that’s a tight middle 3 to start, 2 of them quite mobile. Would hope Williams could use his speed to impact the line, get quick play the balls. He seems to be good in collision.  Pole, Sione, Seyfarth, Tal bench. We need another edge forward so if we could get Lane that’d mean 2 big edge forwards playing off Luai & Galvin. Both could be switched to the middle if needed. Obviously not much chance of this happening, I’m probably way off the mark but just a thought I had.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @garry

He could work there but it’s a really tough job & couldn’t see him playing 80.  I can understand the need to include him, it’s a tough one. I really hope we get Williams because I’d give him more responsibility here than he’s had elsewhere & I think he’d like it. Was thinking today he’d start at lock & I’d ask him to really put in a big 20 minutes or so before bringing Sione on. Also start with Klem & Twal, that’s a tight middle 3 to start, 2 of them quite mobile. Would hope Williams could use his speed to impact the line, get quick play the balls. He seems to be good in collision.  Pole, Sione, Seyfarth, Tal bench. We need another edge forward so if we could get Lane that’d mean 2 big edge forwards playing off Luai & Galvin. Both could be switched to the middle if needed. Obviously not much chance of this happening, I’m probably way off the mark but just a thought I had.

I don't know if any of those guys have the ball playing ability that I want.

Latu is our insurance policy and we need to play him to keep him engaged.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

No interest in any of our current middles as our long term 13 moving forward. Not sure that Latu can make it there either, but definitely worth a shot. 

We'll need to go to market for our answer I think. We have the cap space to do so as well. 

ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

If Latu is to be our lock then then the 31 year old Williams is an ideal signing for 2 years. Williams starts with Latu off the bench. At the end of the 2 years either Latu takes over the starting spot or he plays 6 because Galvin has left.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

What about Latu at centre?

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @helmesy

thought about that has he played there at all ? not sure how his defence would hold up. Don't mind the idea of latu at 13 from the bench 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

thought about that has he played there at all ? not sure how his defence would hold up. Don't mind the idea of latu at 13 from the bench 

problem I would have with Latu on the bench to ultimately play 13 is that he is taking a bench spot away from a forward. IMO TDS has the 14 seat locked in for next year and the other three must be forwards (preferably middles IMO).

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

problem I would have with Latu on the bench to ultimately play 13 is that he is taking a bench spot away from a forward. IMO TDS has the 14 seat locked in for next year and the other three must be forwards (preferably middles IMO).

problem is if we dont play latunin the 17 and Galvin announces he is leaving then we are in deep strife. 

tds is very good but we have probably the second best 9 in the game in Api I don't know if we need to carry a 9 on the bench, tds can't play any other positions. Again if we don't play tds he probably looks for the exit lounge 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Chammas is reporting tigers are talking to Big Red, Corey H. Allegedly he is on 750k a year for a further 3 years at Canberra.

if tigers can offer him 350k and get Canberra to chip in the rest e.g. 400k then a good signing 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

problem is if we dont play latunin the 17 and Galvin announces he is leaving then we are in deep strife. 

tds is very good but we have probably the second best 9 in the game in Api I don't know if we need to carry a 9 on the bench, tds can't play any other positions. Again if we don't play tds he probably looks for the exit lounge 

No way should Api be playing 80 mins.

ReplyQuote
Tiger_Alex
(@tiger_alex)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @doug-heffernan

If Latu is to be our lock then then the 31 year old Williams is an ideal signing for 2 years. Williams starts with Latu off the bench. At the end of the 2 years either Latu takes over the starting spot or he plays 6 because Galvin has left.

Jack Williams is 27yo.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

It’s very rare to see halves move into the middle, Kurt Mann has done a good job at the Dogs but he also had quite a few years experience before that playing NRL in the backs or utility. Latu could but unsure how effective he’d be just now given he is so inexperienced, has hamstring issues and hasn’t played as a middle. If we were thinking about it it’d be good to give him some time in Cup at 13, just to see how he copes but only one game left now. I know young Bailey Hodges is doing ok in Flegg in the role but he came from a middle position anyway. But he is also very inexperienced. Seems Latu could be given a chance in the trials next year but we’ll still need a middle or two, and an edge backrower. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1028 / 1059
Share: