Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mike

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @dirty-reds

AFL clubs have always had better attendances than NRL clubs, but they've been ahead of the curve as well. Moved away from suburban grounds a long time ago, and this get a lot more incoming in terms of gate receipts and corporate support. 

Their situation is also obviously helped by Melbourne's geography and the fact that they have two large and modern stadia basically on the edge of the CBD. 

We have a brand new modern stadium on the edge of the CBD but some people don’t want to use it because of its location. Ridiculous really. 

Yeah but it has a Roosters logo on it 😂

Wouldn’t take much to put other logos on there as well. Already has Rugby and some other logo I forget.  

No It's the Roosters homeground.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

The new SFS would be my preferred option if we’re talking a purely selfish perspective. One train into Central and then a walk or tram ride over to Moore Park. So easy.

We would as a club however be battered from pillar to post about being a Western Sydney team that doesn’t play west of the CBD.

So, great ground but not a realistic option unfortunately.

Would could be the West Bondi Tigers

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Allianz would be amazing. We would become a powerhouse

Mike and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

The new SFS would be my preferred option if we’re talking a purely selfish perspective. One train into Central and then a walk or tram ride over to Moore Park. So easy.

We would as a club however be battered from pillar to post about being a Western Sydney team that doesn’t play west of the CBD.

And that is why we have been such a poor club. We have the ground but some won’t like it. It’s just a ludicrous attitude. We should play out of the best ground and that’s the SFS.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

And that is why we have been such a poor club. We have the ground but some won’t like it. It’s just a ludicrous attitude. We should play out of the best ground and that’s the SFS.

Not for us it isn't, which is why we won't be playing there. I doubt we would be allowed to play there anyway.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

By your logic if we play out of the Western Sydney Stadium we are the West Parramatta Tigers then. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

By your logic if we play out of the Western Sydney Stadium we are the West Parramatta Tigers then. 

Parramatta is in the West, Moore Park is not.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

As the AFL have shown the location of the stadium has nothing todo with anything. It’s the quality and capacity of the stadium that counts. I take it by your comments that you don’t want the Wests Tigers to play out of the best Rugby League ground in the city. This is the attitude that has held us back as a club. Happy to be also rans where poor grounds are good enough because of the “atmosphere”… well that has got us nowhere, except backwards compared to all the clubs that play out of modern stadiums. The SFS is the best Rugby League Stadium in Sydney and we should be playing out of it. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

As the AFL have shown the location of the stadium has nothing todo with anything. It’s the quality and capacity of the stadium that counts. I take it by your comments that you don’t want the Wests Tigers to play out of the best Rugby League ground in the city. This is the attitude that has held us back as a club. Happy to be also rans where poor grounds are good enough because of the “atmosphere”… well that has got us nowhere, except backwards compared to all the clubs that play out of modern stadiums. The SFS is the best Rugby League Stadium in Sydney and we should be playing out of it. 

CommBank is a modern stadium.

The AFL has shown nothing, each of the clubs using the MCG are about 15 mins from the stadium. Why don't GWS play out of the SCG if the AFL just choose the best stadium in the city?

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

The AFL has shown nothing, each of the clubs using the MCG are about 15 mins from the stadium. Why don't GWS play out of the SCG if the AFL just choose the best stadium in the city?

You cannot deny the AFL stats. Location makes no difference, quality and capacity is what matters. OK So we’ll be the Wests Parramatta Tigers then. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

You cannot deny the AFL stats. Location makes no difference, quality and capacity is what matters. OK So we’ll be the Wests Parramatta Tigers then. 

Location makes no difference when it is 15mins away.

Why Don't GWS play at the SCG?

This post was modified 4 months ago by Garry

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Don’t really care. I want the Wests Tigers to play out of the best Rugby League ground in Sydney and that is the SFS. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Don’t really care. I want the Wests Tigers to play out of the best Rugby League ground in Sydney and that is the SFS. 

You were the one that raised the argument about the AFL choosing the best grounds, when points were put forward that countered that you now don't care.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

I don’t know how much the AFL situation stacks up in regards to the NRL and Wests Tigers.

As I said before, I’d love for us to play at the SFS but I think the optics of playing there permanently rather than somewhere west of the CBD would be a major issue.

In saying that, Richo will do a deal that gives the best financial result and that very well could be the SFS. 

As Garry said though, we might not even have an opportunity to move there and so this could all be moot. 

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

because they are an expansion team

ReplyQuote
Page 136 / 148
Share: