Best memory of Gran...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Best memory of Grand Final week 2005

(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg
Topic starter  

Seeing as we’re well into GF week 2022 (not a great deal of buzz here but still looking forward to Sunday), thought it’d be fun to read what people’s favourite memories of the GF week in 2005 were.

I did the traditional(?) streamers on the car thing. And being an old Wests supporter (Lidcombe lad) I snuck into Lidcombe Oval, under fence, and climbed one of the towers next to the grandstand to place a Wests Tigers flag there. I only climbed a few metres up but the idea was to let the trains go by to see it. Just wanted to make that connection between the old & the new. 

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

I was up in Brisbane at the time so I missed a lot of the celebrations etc. One thing that stands out to me is the turmoil I was feeling inside. On one hand, I was confident, we seemed to have the wood on the Cowboys, the momentum, and the star power to win and accomplish something I thought we might never see - a Tigers premiership. On the other hand, 1988 and 89 were etched into my memory, especially 89 when the Tigers were the favourites and the out-of-town team spoiled the party. I wouldn't consider it a fun week per se, it is such an all-or-nothing situation.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Topic starter  

@helmesy Funny thing for me Joel was I was probably more excited going into the prelim’. One win away from my first GF after supporting Wests & Wests Tigers for 35 years. Once we were in I felt excitement of course but not all that concerned about the outcome. At the end of the GF I felt a great deal of satisfaction whereas after the prelim I was buzzing & planning what to do, tickets for mates & I,  flag in tower etc. After the GF & the celebrations I went home with a smile & watched the game again. Slept well.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Telling my 2 boys right after full time, to remember where they were when Wests Tigers won the premiership because it might take a while before they see it again.  

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

My enduring memory of that week (day actually) was on the actual day, my family (3 kids aged 9, 5, 1 and my then wife) going around to my mum and dads where everything had been decorated Black, gold and white (my family, particularly my Dad has a long history with Balmain). Such a special day with the whole family. I spent the whole week not letting myself believe it could happen. I specifically remember a moment, probably 5 mins from the end when I realised that we werent going to lose and it was an incredible feeling.

Particularly nice memory for me today, as I have literally just got back from a funeral home, planning my Dads funeral (he is still with us but not for long). Terrible day today but this  thread brought a beautiful memory back.

Russtutty63, Joel Helmes, Jedi Tiger and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@tiger5150 best wishes mate

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @tiger5150

My enduring memory of that week (day actually) was on the actual day, my family (3 kids aged 9, 5, 1 and my then wife) going around to my mum and dads where everything had been decorated Black, gold and white (my family, particularly my Dad has a long history with Balmain). Such a special day with the whole family. I spent the whole week not letting myself believe it could happen. I specifically remember a moment, probably 5 mins from the end when I realised that we werent going to lose and it was an incredible feeling.

Particularly nice memory for me today, as I have literally just got back from a funeral home, planning my Dads funeral (he is still with us but not for long). Terrible day today but this  thread brought a beautiful memory back.

Really sorry to hear about your Dad 5150. I hope you and your family are holding up ok.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150

Sorry to hear your sad news mate, sending prayers to you and your family.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@tiger5150 Sorry to hear about your Dad

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Thanks guys, I genuinely appreciate it, but didnt mean to derail the thread......back to happier discussion.

Does the day after the GF count for GF week? Great memories of rocking up to LO and seeing the boys there in body if not mind. Particularly remember Hodgo trying to keep it together. Great times.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Salty
(@salty)
Junior Pathways

Notable aspect of the 2005 side was the overall speed in the spine. They were all skilful, but they also had that precious commodity of acceleration and top speed to beat defenders on the outside. When compared to other GF spines it’s difficult to think of a faster one. Their combined speed pulled defensive lines out of shape and took full advantage of opportunities, it’s little wonder success was down to scoring more points than the opposition. Prince has expressed regret that he didn’t play more seasons at Wests Tigers… what could have been if played 3-4 more and Benji didn’t suffer those shoulder injuries, could have been a couple more premierships.

Russtutty63, Mike, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Phil Guild saying we had played our Grand Final the week before… hahahahahahahaha

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Topic starter  

@tiger5150 Sorry to read about your father’s passing. I’ve been through it too so I understand what you’re going through.  But I’m glad this thread brought back a fond memory, those moments become more profound. And I’ll let you know this my house will get the full treatment if we make it again to a GF. Wife might not be too pleased but I’ll do it tastefully, ehem.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Topic starter  

@mike I thought the atmosphere that night was certainly worthy of a GF, best atmosphere I’ve experienced at any game. But, yes, the mighty Guster, was a tad wrong with that call.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Topic starter  

@tiger5150 Not sure it counts, more post GF but I have to admit some regret in not getting to the celebrations the day after. Nothing will stop me if it ever happens again.

Tiger5150 and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: