basics

coach

Game plan

players regressing not improving

ReplyQuote
SuperTrev
(@supertrev)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Nobody remembers that Benji was supposed to take over coaching full time from next year. This year is just a warm up for him. 

P.S. my one word for this game is  ERRORS

Every time we had a chance = errors

Every time we made an error. The Warriors scored in that set straight after it.

The errors that were made were errors that you tell under 10s players not to do. I used to tell my players "If you wanna catch the ball, you need to look at the ball" 

Worry what you're gonna do with the ball once you have it in your hands.

Eastiemagpie reacted
ReplyQuote
Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Last night really shows the difference in quality between a top 5 prop at the top of his game and Stefano, who even his best game would be just called a decent hit out for AFB. Our offer of $800k and more importantly 5 years is overs for what Stef is dishing up, I was a fan, now i dont care if he goes. All this talk about ex players killing it at other clubs, I watch Brooks and Blore and the rest of our ex players and individually they play no better than they did for us, they obviously look better in a stronger team. brooks minus turbo and DCE was exactly the player he was for us and Blore still gives up on plays and is often caught flat footed, difference is the players around him can help cover and tend to nail their opponents one on one. Throw in a second year Galvin/latu and the incumbent origin#6 and you start to open up the attacking options. Also whilst in a perfect world we shouldn't have a rookie coach I have to remind everyone that Ciraldo's dogs had the worst defensive record last year and many dogs fans were calling for his head (he was penrith defence guru)...it will take a coach a couple of years to get the team close to where they want them, I'm happy to give benji till mid season 2025.

ReplyQuote
(@kenny4517)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I 100% agree with Avo about sacking Benji, putting experienced assistants around him is not going to work in my opinion and what experience assistants coaches are willing to work with someone who has no experience at coaching at all. Sure maybe he got Luai and Turuva across the line but I believe Api played a big part in getting them over. We can all see that this is not working and needs to be resolve, as we can't keep going down this path that previous management put in place. Benji picked all his assistant coaches and reserve grade coach.

Snake, Avo, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @kenny4517

I 100% agree with Avo about sacking Benji, putting experienced assistants around him is not going to work in my opinion and what experience assistants coaches are willing to work with someone who has no experience at coaching at all. Sure maybe he got Luai and Turuva across the line but I believe Api played a big part in getting them over. We can all see that this is not working and needs to be resolve, as we can't keep going down this path that previous management put in place. Benji picked all his assistant coaches and reserve grade coach.

I think it’s all moot.

Most agree he shouldn’t have been rushed in.

But the club can’t make a change now as the CEO has backed him heavily.

I think he has until mid next year.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Judge Benji at this time next year. Calling for his sacking is ridiculous. 

CanberraTiger and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kenny4517)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@helmesy first 8/10 arounds should tell us.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

The club really can’t win with the coach situation.
If they sack Benji they will cop it for changing plans all the time 

if they keep Benji they will cop it for keeping an underperforming coach 

I think Benji has the potential to be a quality coach however he hasn’t had the right apprenticeship. He hadn’t had time to develop his skills. It’s like asking a first year plumber to fit out an entire house. 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

And that’s fine, but I’m not prepared to waste yet another year. We keep him next year, we get the spoon again.

Kenny4517 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

And that’s fine, but I’m not prepared to waste yet another year. We keep him next year, we get the spoon again.

We won’t get the spoon next year. 

Eastiemagpie reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

I think Benji has the potential to be a quality coach however he hasn’t had the right apprenticeship. He hadn’t had time to develop his skills. It’s like asking a first year plumber to fit out an entire house. 

That may be so, but we don’t have  time to wait for him to maybe become a decent coach. Nothing about his coaching is impressive, he seems clueless.

At the moment he’s the worst coach coaching the worst team. If we improve the roster he’s still going to be the worst coach. If we persist with him next year we’ll get the spoon again, Galvin will leave, the juniors won’t develop, and everything will continue to get worse. Continuing with him as coach is guaranteed failure for the club. 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @mike

I’ll take that bet.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

That may be so, but we don’t have  time to wait for him to maybe become a decent coach. Nothing about his coaching is impressive, he seems clueless.

At the moment he’s the worst coach coaching the worst team. If we improve the roster he’s still going to be the worst coach. If we persist with him next year we’ll get the spoon again, Galvin will leave, the juniors won’t develop, and everything will continue to get worse. Continuing with him as coach is guaranteed failure for the club. 

galvin is gone anyway. Benji has made mostly sensible selections this year and I think our defence and attack systems are improving. We have had atrocious discipline and we have made a lot of costly mistakes. If you compare where we are now vs the Api run around plays from last year we are doing so much better. Our 3/4 line is garbage, our starting props are bottom team and quality and we have no lock forward. Fix these things and we won’t be in the bottom 4. Once we get off the bottom the plan (junior pipeline) will work and we will be back where we belong / bottom of the 8

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

galvin is gone anyway. Benji has made mostly sensible selections this year and I think our defence and attack systems are improving. We have had atrocious discipline and we have made a lot of costly mistakes. If you compare where we are now vs the Api run around plays from last year we are doing so much better. Our 3/4 line is garbage, our starting props are bottom team and quality and we have no lock forward. Fix these things and we won’t be in the bottom 4. Once we get off the bottom the plan (junior pipeline) will work and we will be back where we belong / bottom of the 8

I'm sorry but I can't agree with any of that. Galvin is gone because the team continue to lose. If we can turn it around and start winning, I think he'll stay.

His selections have been atrocious. This is the first week he got the team right and then he messed it up before kickoff. Our 3/4 line is garbage but he's the guy who extended To'a when he still had 18 months left in his contract. He's also the guy who moves the backs from one side to another, then to the wing and back to centre. How do you build combinations like that? He also signed Fa'atape and Lobb. The forwards are terrible, but he was also the guy who gave Twal an extra 3 years on his deal. He's the guy who got Klemmer and Bateman. He's the guy who got Sullivan. Our roster being as bad as it is is largely because of his stupid recruitment. However, that isn't his biggest issue. His issue is he genuinely does not know how to coach a rugby league team, and I doubt he ever will.

Kenny4517, Joel Helmes, Tiger5150 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @mike

I’ll take that bet.

You’re on

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 10
Share: