Share:
Notifications
Clear all

WT V Warriors Rd 21 2024

(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@avocadoontoast For all those signings he should be sacked he obviously doesn’t know or can read what a good footballer is with good attitude . He basically has signed a squad of plodders !

ReplyQuote
(@plundermonkey)
Wests Tigers Supporter

These are dark days my friends. All hope for 2024 is lost, another wooden spoon is looking likely. Confidence in the forward pack and in an improved defence has evaporated. Yet another rebuild is looming. 

The Warriors were ordinary last night. But the Tigers hardly threw anything at them. Tigers errors are plentiful and seldom go unpunished. 

Benji’s appointment is the last big decision of the previous administration that is still in play. Cameron Ciraldo knocked the Tigers back because he believed they needed an experienced coach. And yet we now have by far the most inexperienced coaching staff in the NRL.

Coaching is a skill, it needs to be learned and practiced. Anointing great ex-players had that feel-good quality that Lee and Justin used to keep the fans at bay. As a strategy, it was always
far more likely than not to fail. There is a lot of basic coaching that seems to be missing each week - that ever present lack of attention to detail. 

Richardson said (several months ago) the roster is 80% there - he therefore thought we needed about 6 changes. In the past few months, that list has surely grown.

We need to offload, move on from or have already lost: Bateman, Klemmer, Papalii, Naden, Sullivan, Tupou, Toa, Tumuth and Sezer. We may lose Stefano. Twal and Feledy are on tilt. That’s between 9 and 12 players I would rather lose than keep. Of course we are not going to achieve that. But salvaging this wreck of a roster is surely Richo’s biggest challenge. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Plundermonkey

Eastiemagpie, Joel Helmes, TigerSteve and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

The club really can’t win with the coach situation.
If they sack Benji they will cop it for changing plans all the time 

if they keep Benji they will cop it for keeping an underperforming coach 

I think Benji has the potential to be a quality coach however he hasn’t had the right apprenticeship. He hadn’t had time to develop his skills. It’s like asking a first year plumber to fit out an entire house. 

That may be so, but we don’t have  time to wait for him to maybe become a decent coach. Nothing about his coaching is impressive, he seems clueless.

At the moment he’s the worst coach coaching the worst team. If we improve the roster he’s still going to be the worst coach. If we persist with him next year we’ll get the spoon again, Galvin will leave, the juniors won’t develop, and everything will continue to get worse. Continuing with him as coach is guaranteed failure for the club. 

galvin is gone anyway. Benji has made mostly sensible selections this year and I think our defence and attack systems are improving. We have had atrocious discipline and we have made a lot of costly mistakes. If you compare where we are now vs the Api run around plays from last year we are doing so much better. Our 3/4 line is garbage, our starting props are bottom team and quality and we have no lock forward. Fix these things and we won’t be in the bottom 4. Once we get off the bottom the plan (junior pipeline) will work and we will be back where we belong / bottom of the 8

I'm sorry but I can't agree with any of that. Galvin is gone because the team continue to lose. If we can turn it around and start winning, I think he'll stay.

His selections have been atrocious. This is the first week he got the team right and then he messed it up before kickoff. Our 3/4 line is garbage but he's the guy who extended To'a when he still had 18 months left in his contract. He's also the guy who moves the backs from one side to another, then to the wing and back to centre. How do you build combinations like that? He also signed Fa'atape and Lobb. The forwards are terrible, but he was also the guy who gave Twal an extra 3 years on his deal. He's the guy who got Klemmer and Bateman. He's the guy who got Sullivan. Our roster being as bad as it is is largely because of his stupid recruitment. However, that isn't his biggest issue. His issue is he genuinely does not know how to coach a rugby league team, and I doubt he ever will.

I might give you Sullivan....at the time we didn't have a single half so not entirely crazy to sign him...duration was probably not clever. However the most of the calls for this roster were made under Sheens, and as much as Sheens commented that Benji agreed with them, I don't think he would have been in a position to reject. Not with Sheens and  his loyal recruitment manager calling the shots.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

@lorenzo Sheens was explicit that Marshall would have the final say on players. He said it multiple times. Regardless To’a and Twal were done In October after Sheens was out the door anyway

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Our recruitment decisions have been truly awful over the years. We seem to buy players on name or reputation rather than actual form and then spend energy on trying to move them on because they are not up to standard.  Take Klemmer as one example from many, he was average at Newcastle and we signed him on big money.  

Mercy Rule and Anonymous reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

@eastiemagpie he was also a swap deal with Hastings. He was honestly the nearest thing we’ve seen to a halfback since S Prince at the club. And what was it Ice was saying about working with the halves. I’ve seen countless money balls he’s delivered this year, especially on the edges. Frizzel pops to mind 🤷‍♂️

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 10
Share: