Share:
Notifications
Clear all

WT V Storm Rd 18 2024

(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tiger5150 douhie is about to turn 26 and is coming off his 3rd ACl playing for the 2 time (maybe 3 time) wooden spooners. He has literally zero chance of making it as a starting 6 anywhere in the NRL. He has a pretty good chance of making it as a better than average centre if he can focus on being the best at that.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

@tiger5150 douhie is about to turn 26 and is coming off his 3rd ACl playing for the 2 time (maybe 3 time) wooden spooners. He has literally zero chance of making it as a starting 6 anywhere in the NRL. He has a pretty good chance of making it as a better than average centre if he can focus on being the best at that.

Mate....Im sold, Im not the one that needs convincing......

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

Hopefully he realises that as much as we all do. 

The fact that he's signed on for next year is promising in that respect - there's three halves ahead of him in the pecking order as it stands so he knows he's at centre for the next year and a half at least. 

I think a full pre-season there could be a game changer for him. 

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Posted by: @garry

Posted by: @russtutty63

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @tgrzmn

Posted by: @Anonymous

Posted by: @garry

We win if AD doesn't try to do it all himself.

🤣😂🤣😂 That’s funny 

We ask for the senior players to step up and lead, and I think that is what AD does when he sees we are behind and something has to change, he has a crack. Surely he is just guilty of trying too hard.

I don't think he is as bad at passing the ball as Tedesco who has become mostly interested in big personal metres and glory. He dies with the ball 90% of the time.

I can understand some of the frustration when players take the wrong option but it’s going to happen if they’re trying too hard to be that difference as you alluded to. For me I just want to see ADs play the rest of the season out at centre and build his game time. He’ll have good moments and not so good, he’s played very little footy for a year. Hopefully gets through this year fit & well then has a full preseason with Luai etc and is ready to play his best next season because that really will make a difference. 

My concern with AD is that it is not simply a case of taking the wrong option, trying too hard and wanting to be the difference. I am very concerned that with AD its an ingrained feature as a result of his ego. He had the same issue prior to his injury when he was relied on to be one of our playmakers, you needed a court case to get the ball off him. Coupled with his recent comments wanting to set the example for the rest of the squad, as well as some of his actions on the field on the weekend, feeds into my concern.

AD has shown some glimpses of very good centre play in his few opportunities since coming back. He has also shown some familiar defensive lapses and poor options. IMO he would benefit from some humility, and settle and try to find his place and feet in a completely new squad and ethos.

Yes, very good points but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt right now and simply put it down to him being over eager to come up with the big play because of where the club is sitting, being behind on the scoreboard and only having his 3rd game back. I think he, like most players who like to get there hand on the ball, will occasionally take the wrong option but I’m hopeful he’ll get better the more he settles into the side in the centre position. 

It may be the case with Adam that he's going to be a little selfish and take the poor option from time to time no matter how long he plays etc. But it could also be the case he develops into a very good strike centre, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. He may never be the perfect player but he could still provide something we've lacked for a long time especially if he's playing outside very good halves etc. Looking at his stats, I see he has only played in the centres in the NRL 16 times in the past 7 years so he hasn't had much time at all to fully develop into the role. The longest run of games he's had in the centres is 6 games in 2021, the Tigers won 3 of those games. Overall the Tigers have won 6 of the 13 games he's played in the centres and he's scored 7 tries so a pretty good strike rate for a makeshift centre. And you'd have to assume he'll get better and, if he does, we might just have to put up with a little selfishness or hope we can develop or recruit another.    

He is not a makeshift centre, he is an out and out centre, always has been. I have been impressed with his speed and form since returning from injury but he does need to learn to not try and do everything himself.

I think I recall you saying that last year or the year before when you and Declan discussed him. I think you also said he could be a lock of defence was better. But I was referring to the 16 games at centre over 7 years, I’d say he was a makeshift centre given those circumstances.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

I’m not sure if he has zero chance of making it as a 6 anywhere in the NRL. There will always be a team looking for someone who can play the position and who has experience etc. Granted he wont be playing 6 at the Tigers unless there’s 2 or 3 guys injured but even if he has a great year in the centres in 2025 a club might see him as someone who could play centre or 6. Probably his best chance could be the club entering the competition in 2026. I doubt very much that will happen but they are going to need at least 2 players who could cover the role, a starter and a player to fill in when needed. 

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 9
Share: