Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Live game thread v Eels Rd 17 *Spoilers

(@voice_of_reason)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

We made four or five mistakes which cost us the game. It wasn't that we played poorly, just some undisciplined play.

Brooks did some very good things but also some very ordinary things. He had two excellent try assists. They were created with his speed wrapping Hastings with T'oa running a decoy. With AD at 6 we don't score these because he simply doesn't have the pace required. AD was average tonight - he's definitely unfit and his defence is still poor. I don't like to think he's kicking stones but if he was trying to impress he failed badly. On one kick chase he ran clean past the catcher without laying a finger on them.

The forwards were sensational. Musgrove with probably his best game for us. Joffa keeps on impressing - he's been a machine this year. The young kids were fantastic - I hope we don't overdo it with them for the rest of the year. Give them good minutes but don't break them trying to get too much from a novice body.

Nofo was excellent under the high ball and had two good finishes but I thought the second one was suspect. Tupou barely sighted but fine. I thought To'a was better tonight. Laurie tried hard.

I thought Hastings was fine. Steered them around to score a couple of tries and a beautiful kick for Laurie to score. Took a heavy knock on the knee, I was surprised to see him play on.

The ref was bewildering both ways. How we didn't get a penalty when Moses clipped Brooks is beyond me when Musgrove penalised for the same thing next set.

ReplyQuote
(@voice_of_reason)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @frullens

Garner had been great all year - very professional - but today only ran for 50m 

I'm not bothered too much by his running - his defence has been outstanding. I hate to think the score tonight if he didn't play. He's one guy who can hold his head up even when the forwards have been poor - I'm really sad to see him go.

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @voice_of_reason

Garner had been great all year - very professional - but today only ran for 50m 

I'm not bothered too much by his running - his defence has been outstanding. I hate to think the score tonight if he didn't play. He's one guy who can hold his head up even when the forwards have been poor - I'm really sad to see him go.

Garner had been great this year and his defence had really improved (his lateral defence used to be a big liability) - I went from being happy for him to go last year to wishing he stayed this year. 

Is funny because i thought players didn't develop under the old coach.

Comment was more generated because of Kelma who i had high hopes for at the start of the year but has fallen off a cliff.

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Absolute highlight for me was Liddle passing into the decoy runner on tackle 5.

Tiger5150 and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Pretty much echo everyone else. Our pack were good with Musgrove, Stef, Joffa and Pole standouts. A glimpse of a bright light on the horizon with Pole & Matamua (need to see more from Justin but didnt look out of place).

Laurie tried his guts out but as an old fullback. It drives me insane watching him defending in the line on our line. I know its the "modern way" and Ive no doubt Madge told him to but it infuriates me and always leaves us exposed to a kick before the last.

Our halves are rubbish. Brooks  was bad. I have said a few times here that I think Brooks is the best 6 in the club and on his day I stand by that. He is getting worse each week though and I think its beyond repair. Hasting was also rubbish but everyone is excited because he is not Brooks.

I have seen nothing to suggest AD is a good 6, but he has to be better than these two. One has to go and it will be Brooks although I am worried we will miss him defensively.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

It wasn't like he was fatigued - he hadn't been on for long at that stage

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

The decline in Liddles game has been surpassed only by the decline in Brooks game. Both are cooked.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Unfortunately Liddle still has a contract for next year. I cannot see an NRL club picking him up even as depth. Even the dolphins preferred Marshall King. Super League or bust for Liddle. Most likely he just burns our cap in the top 30 next year

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Posted by: @tiger5150

Pretty much echo everyone else. Our pack were good with Musgrove, Stef, Joffa and Pole standouts. A glimpse of a bright light on the horizon with Pole & Matamua (need to see more from Justin but didnt look out of place).

Laurie tried his guts out but as an old fullback. It drives me insane watching him defending in the line on our line. I know its the "modern way" and Ive no doubt Madge told him to but it infuriates me and always leaves us exposed to a kick before the last.

Our halves are rubbish. Brooks  was bad. I have said a few times here that I think Brooks is the best 6 in the club and on his day I stand by that. He is getting worse each week though and I think its beyond repair. Hasting was also rubbish but everyone is excited because he is not Brooks.

I have seen nothing to suggest AD is a good 6, but he has to be better than these two. One has to go and it will be Brooks although I am worried we will miss him defensively.

The halves situation is strange.

Hastings is a good halfback but whether I the injury, lack of gelling with the 6, unhappy at club - but he's not playing to his full potential. He gets tackled on the 5th tackle a lot, usually because we aren't running with any decent shape.

Brooks I think is trying and put in more effort than both Hastings and AD. But he doesn't have the footy smarts, some very dumb plays today. If he stays, he could make a good 14 with his speed, but I think he wants out and it's time to try aomething new.

I'd like to see Hastings and AD have a few consistent weeks together. I think they can show something, in regards to footy smarts and taking the control of the game.

I'm surprised because before madge left, our halves were actually improving. Our strick rate in the 20m zone had improved a lot. I would of thought with Noddy, the halves were we'd see something but I feel it's gone a lot backwards 

My worry is we lose all 3 because none of them are happy (which is the sense I get).

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@chook)
Wests Tigers Supporter

A couple of things which have probably already been said:

- Pole is a beast! Second game, starting and decent minutes, good late footwork, strong.. super encouraging 

- Musgrove excellent (we need to make sure we dont play him too long, when he is buggered thats when he makes silly penalties and errors in defence)

- I love Steve (i know a little off topic but was meant to write this after listening to the last pod) 

- The ref was about as good (or bad wink wink) as our 10 minutes either side of halftime!

- Brooks did some good along with some terrible. Really think Hastings needs to take over and do majority of the kicking (if his foot is up to it). Its not just the execution with Brooks, ive noticed over the year that he really doesnt get himself into a good positision (to give himself enough time) and when he is rushed by the defence the kicks go wayward. 

- Going off the last pod in the week - I would ONLY have Tim Sheens as interim coach IF we signed Todd Payton for whenever he is off contract and Tim took over the team until then. 

Frullens and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @chook

I love Steve (i know a little off topic but was meant to write this after listening to the last pod) 

Careful, you will give him a big head.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

- Pole is a beast! Second game, starting and decent minutes, good late footwork, strong.. super encouraging 

- Musgrove excellent (we need to make sure we dont play him too long, when he is buggered thats when he makes silly penalties and errors in defence)

- I love Steve (i know a little off topic but was meant to write this after listening to the last pod) 

- The ref was about as good (or bad wink wink) as our 10 minutes either side of halftime!

- Brooks did some good along with some terrible. Really think Hastings needs to take over and do majority of the kicking (if his foot is up to it). Its not just the execution with Brooks, ive noticed over the year that he really doesnt get himself into a good positision (to give himself enough time) and when he is rushed by the defence the kicks go wayward. 

- Going off the last pod in the week - I would ONLY have Tim Sheens as interim coach IF we signed Todd Payton for whenever he is off contract and Tim took over the team until then. 

Great post!

I love Steve too ❤ 

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Great post!

I love Steve too ❤ 

I think Steve has hacked these accounts.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

LoganR21 reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

@chook    Love you too mate😂

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tigersteve

@chook    Love you too mate😂

I’m away a couple of days and this place gets weird 😆

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Garry and TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8
Share: