Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Tuilagi was very good

Simpkin’s service was a huge step up on Liddle

forwards were solid

I thought Hastings was solid and Brooks was pretty poor

Ken had a cracker

overall good first half, poor second half. We don’t have a player that can really take control of the game when needed (like Hughes did)

Joel Helmes and Geo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@voice_of_reason)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

In the first half I thought it was very noticeable how many options we had in attack. We were willing to spread the ball early instead of using Nofo and Ken as battering rams. This made the Storm work hard and made life easier for the forwards as the tackle count went on. Peachy and Hastings offer real alternatives to Brooks although it was clear Storm (Meaney) were targeting Hastings two off the ruck. I'm not sold on Laurie as a long term fullback but he's still a rookie at  NRL level.

I like what Hastings does to our defence. He's very calm in the line and our right side looked as confident as it has in years. The centres are still a concern - Gildart rushes up and leave holes behind the line.  Roberts was OK but if AD was fit I'd have him there. Both Ken and Nofo were great - very solid from both and good finishes. The intensity to cover Paps in the middle I mentioned earlier was admirable.

Joffa impresses me at 13. The starting front row was quiet but I was pleasantly surprised with the impact Musgrove made when he came on. I thought Simpkin did what he needed to do. Wasn't threatening at all from DH but was likely pacing himself knowing he wouldn't get much of a break. His service was better than the trials but not outstanding.

The elephant in the room is the interchange. As the second half wore on it was clear Simpkin, Kelma and Lucy were blowing hard and, even as a supporter of Madge, I'm struggling to see the logic behind playing Seyfarth and Garner for so few minutes.

Snake and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @snake

Maguires use of the bench once again lost another game .. LL was tanked at 1/2 time . The game was there to have  but as usual the coach let the dominance slip by leaving tanked players on the field ! 2 forwards not used until well into the 60th minute mark by then the advantage was gone .

Couldn’t agree more

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @redman

@helmesy nope…. Tried the radio link in the menu, but it was an old podcast

If not working refreshing the page should work.

We’ll have replay up as a pod in the morning.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

it shows the Brooks critics are still around even when he plays ok. Hastings was so slow and pedestrian he is not a 6 in nrl level

in a pleasant suprise Nofo (who normally defends terribly) played really well in defence with no silly mistakes.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

We lost that games in the centres, both were very poor. I thoughts the forwards were strong. Hastings looked ok in patches but looked lost at times. Hastings and Gildart are excused for their showing, they will need another game or two to adjust to the pace and intensity of NRL. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Tigers coach Michael Maguire conceded after his side's loss to the Melbourne Stormthat it was one that got away.

"There's no excuse for the second half, we'll definitely wear that one," he said.

"We definitely found the way we wanted to play in the first half, and second half we just made it hard for ourselves."

The Tigers led 14-6 early in the second half, but were run down by a gallant Melbourne Storm, who played with 15 players for the majority of the match.

"The drop balls and completion rates always compound pressure, and unfortunately we had a couple of tries there that we'll definitely have a look at," Maguire said.

The 2014 grand final winner said the style of the first 40 minutes was very pleasing.

"We actually played some football, we played some good passages of play and we were able to kick to the corners - and it's being able to do that for an 80 minute period. If the boys can get that right, we'll be very strong."

It was the first game for the combination of Luke Brooks and Jackson Hastings, with both showing moments of promise, along with fullback Daine Laurie.

The more time they spend together, they're going to be really strong," Maguire said.

"We had a number of opportunities there in the first half where we could have probably put a little bit more on the scoreboard, but those are the things that will come with time."

The Storm continued their staggering round one winning streak with the victory, and will look to continue another shocking stat next week when they host South Sydney, who have never won in Melbourne.

The Tigers will play the Knights, who upset the Roosters earlier today.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-2022-michael-maguire-laments-game-that-got-away-against-melbourne-storm/8c459823-c34b-454b-a0e3-e610e2f2e2bd

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

it shows the Brooks critics are still around even when he plays ok. Hastings was so slow and pedestrian he is not a 6 in nrl level

in a pleasant suprise Nofo (who normally defends terribly) played really well in defence with no silly mistakes.

I’ll give Brooks credit when he plays well but he didn’t play well tonight. Some of his decisions in attack were bonkers and he vanished again when we needed someone to step up. I dont have anything against the guy I just think he’s a very bog average player.

Mike and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Brooks and Maguire press conference.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/league/nrl/wests-tigers-press-conference!821205

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast
Posted by: @jedi-tiger

I’ll give Brooks credit when he plays well but he didn’t play well tonight. Some of his decisions in attack were bonkers and he vanished again when we needed someone to step up. I dont have anything against the guy I just think he’s a very bog average player.

Agreed

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @helmesy

Brooks and Maguire press conference.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/league/nrl/wests-tigers-press-conference!821205

I’m a bit over hearing Maguire say “we’ve just got to”. You’ve been saying it for years and we’re still not.

Avo and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

can we get Sheens talking to ciraldo 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@boonboon)
Junior Pathways

Tuilagi was the defensive issue gor 4 tries and yet everyone is raving about him 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Tuilagi was very good

Simpkin’s service was a huge step up on Liddle

forwards were solid

I thought Hastings was solid and Brooks was pretty poor

Ken had a cracker

overall good first half, poor second half. We don’t have a player that can really take control of the game when needed (like Hughes did)

Pretty good summation Avo

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@hodgo)
Wests Tigers Supporter

For me I wanted to see an improvement to what we did last year. I thought like many others that our attack looks considerably better, good ball movement and our middle are hitting the line hard.

Defensively you can see the new system is solid my concern now falls back on the individual. For me our glaring weakness is Gildart. While it's his first game and it may seem harsh I felt his descion making was extremely poor and really placed alot of pressure on those around him. 

Like many I feel like I want to rage at Brooksy but not because I thought he was bad mainly because he is what he always is. He has the keys to the castle and with that comes the responsibility of being the go to guy. He definately didn't play bad but the same issues that we have always had are still there, not being a difference maker, not controlling the game, not making the big play to change the momentum probably harsh and I wish him all the success in the world I just want to see a Luke Brooks that wins us a game I guess. 

Plenty of positives plenty to be concerned about but def some positive which last year were few and far between.

Joel Helmes and LoganR21 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7
Share: